To understand what IEEE HSB is, a look at the crest of the main organization pyramid should be taken.
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE, was found in 1884; it is a non-profit organization that aims for technological innovation.
There are more than 430,000 IEEE members in more than 160 countries. The IEEE publishes a third of the world’s technical literature in electrical engineering, computer science and electronics and is a leading developer of international standards that underpin many of today's telecommunications, information technology and power generation products and services.
Obviously, the organization couldn’t cover the whole world without dividing it through regions; the organization made 10 regions, region 8 covers Europe, Middle East, and Africa.
The IEEE REGION 8 believes in:
- Inclusiveness – Embracing diversity of Region 8 members and their careers. Respecting each other’s values with honesty and transparency.
- Networking – Creating an engaged, interactive community of technical professionals from both industry and academic sectors
- Professionalism – Maintaining the highest level of professional and ethical standards.
- Technical Excellence – Disseminating high quality scientific and technical information in a timely, equitable and objective manner.
- Volunteerism – The driving force of Region 8 Technical Activities In each region, there are many sections that run under its management, for example, IEEE Egypt Section that covers the geographical area of the Arab Republic of Egypt and was established on September 8, 1955 as the 2nd IEEE section outside the US. IEEE Egypt Section consists of 3 main entities:
- Student Activities: 30+ affiliated IEEE student branches in different Egyptian universities.
- Affinity Groups:
- IEEE Young Professionals (YP) Egypt
- IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) Egypt
- Technical Activities: concentrated in the so-called Society Chapters
The chain of IEEE, its regions and section, leads to the last parts of the chain;
IEEE Helwan Student Branch,
the 3rd created branch in Egypt, was the very first student organization found in Helwan University in 2001.
IEEE HSB was awarded many worldwide competitions; it has two chapters called RAS & PES, and one affinity group known as WIE. IEEE HSB has made a strong platform through its Facebook page, and its annually magazine that has been created since 2017. The magazine is called Eye-eee and was sold through their booth in maker-fair 17’ event in Cairo; the magazines are also available online on their Facebook page.